Penrith a Carbon Neutral Town by 2030
Your Ideas Needed!
We are using our online Dialogue Platform to outline a ‘challenge’ facing Penrith as a result of the Climate Emergency. We would like to listen to local people about how we can increase knowledge and understanding of how climate change affects us locally, what green projects will benefit the town, also how we can all find out what’s been or is being done already and how everyone can find out about our local environmental action groups.
We have outlined two actions from our strategy to address this ‘challenge.’ One idea is for a ‘High Street Community Hub,’ essentially a space to act as a focal point and provide access to free resources, services, advice and support. The hub would also offer practical support and advice about repairing, upcycling, community gardening and local projects.
We want to know what you think about this.
The other idea we have outlined is the ‘Grow Nature Fund.’ We would like your comments and new ideas for developing and funding local green projects. We want to learn from other areas of the country and have outlined an example from Leamington Spa where local groups are developing use of outdoor spaces for education, recreation, music, and theatre uses.
What do you think?
The Town Council is encouraging everyone in Penrith to participate.
It is easy to get involved.
Use the underlined link below which will act as a short cut to our ideas page:
Register to use the Dialogue Platform.
The Dialogue will run from 5th November to 3rd December.
Not everyone will have devices to communicate online. Moreover, everyone likes to learn in different ways and at different paces, often depending on time available. If you cannot use this online method and would like to find out more about climate change in Penrith or would like to contribute to these conversations off-line, please contact us by email using the underlined email shortcut below:
Telephone: 01768 899 773
Write: Penrith Town Council, Unit 1, Church House, 19-24 Friargate, Penrith, Cumbria, CA11 7XR
Please get involved in helping to make Penrith a Carbon Neutral Town.
It’s crucially important for all of us!!
What communities do to fight climate change comes down to the people who live there.
- We will start and continue a long-term community conversation about climate change
- We will create reliable and regular means for sharing and exchanging information with our community.
- We will actively seek out up-to-date factual information, current guidance and best practice.
- We will work with partners and stakeholders.
- We will encourage Eden parish and town councils to come together and share their learning and their struggles in helping their communities to become carbon neutral.
- We will provide a long-term community action hub, with outreach services and resources.
- We will develop and disseminate through consultation, action plans that will encourage a community-wide behaviour change.
The combined efforts of the whole Penrith community is needed to make a difference to climate change.
The more the community joins in with these efforts, the greater our chances of success.
Our response to the climate emergency will therefore be to implement projects that demonstrate the Council’s commitment to addressing climate change whilst having an ongoing conversation with organisations and individuals in Penrith and beyond, to engage and learn as new challenges and new opportunities arise and to encourage community commitment.
We hope that our community engagement:
- Challenges people’s behaviour, use of energy and things
- Challenges our relationship to the Earth’s resources,
- Inspires others to undertake similar green initiatives,
- Enables us to collaborate with like-minded people and groups,
- Encourages us to be kinder to the climate, the community and ourselves
What to do if you cannot access parts of this page
We want to ensure that everyone can access our information and we are working to improve our website. Please contact us if you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read or in an alternative format.
We will consider your request and respond to you in ten working days.