Councillor Lawson is Chair of Penrith Council and was elected the third Mayor of Penrith on 20 May 2019.
The role of Mayor is steeped in tradition and ceremony, although the power of the Mayor has diminished throughout the centuries the office continues to have a central part to play within modern Councils. The Mayor represents the Council and its area, with the insignia and chains of office. The Mayor connects the present day with history and acts as a symbol of continuity.
The many engagements undertaken by the Mayor act as a link between the various groups and organisations in the Town. The Mayor can share the views and concerns of the community with the Council. The Mayor can also take the Council’s message out into the community and work towards achieving the Council’s social, educational and economic priorities.
Councillor Lawson’s Charity is Penrith Foodbank operated by
The Salvation Army at:
1 Hunters Lane, Penrith, CA11 7UY
PLEASE GIVE WHAT YOU CAN IN TERMS OF YOUR
TIME OR FOOD DONATIONS,
AS ONLY TOGETHER CAN WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE
The Mayor has two distinct roles: civic and Chair of the Council.
The Mayor is the first citizen of the Town. In their Civic Role the Mayor meets with individuals and communities to honour them for their contribution to the life of the Town, and to promote civic pride.
The role of Mayor is distinct from that of Councillor and the Mayor acts in a non-political manner when carrying out the civic role. The Deputy Mayor will attend functions when the Mayor is unable to do so.The Council’s Civic Protocol governs the Mayors duties and responsibilities.
The Mayors responsibilities includes:
- Leading the community in support of the Council’s values and vision. This may involve finding ways of improving the engagement with local people, encouraging citizenship, championing worthy causes and encouraging formal and informal partnerships to work towards the priorities and objectives of the Council. This is all consistent with the move towards greater public involvement and local accountability enshrined within the Localism Act 2011.
- Acting as first citizen and ambassador of the Council in promoting the Council area, its aims and vision.
- Presiding over civic functions and hosting receptions for representatives of local businesses and voluntary and community groups.
- Attending a range of functions by outside organisations, locally, regionally and, occasionally, nationally and internationally. This may include royal events, remembrance services and awards ceremonies.
- Helping to raise funds for specific charitable organisations identified at the start of the civic year.
- Observing civic protocols when undertaking the civic and ceremonial events.
Chair of Council
The Mayor also chairs meetings of the Full Council and ensures that the Council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of concern to the local community. If the Mayor is present at the meeting of the Full Council he or she must preside. If the Mayor is not present, then the Deputy Mayor presides.
It is in the power of the Mayor to call a Special Meeting of the Council at any time, subject to prior notice being given, or to alter the time and place of a scheduled Council meeting.
The Mayor has the provision for a second, or casting vote in the event of an equality of votes on any question before the meeting.
Meet the Mayor
If you would like to talk to the Mayor about concerns, offer suggestions or discuss the things you think are positive about what’s happening in the Town, please contact us and we will arrange an appointment as your views are important and face-to-face ‘conversations’ like this will help to inform the Council and enhance effectiveness.
There are certain events which have national and local significance.
These events are co-ordinated by the Deputy Town Clerk and she also manages the Mayors diary.
You can contact the Deputy Town Clerk on 017668 899 773
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively using the Mayoral Engagement Booking form below, you can contact the Council Office if you would like to invite the Mayor to a function or event. Please fill in the form below and we will reply as soon as possible.